When you’re looking to show off your best features and enhance your natural beauty, nothing beats the power of contour and highlight. It’s a simple yet effective makeup technique that can make you look tanned, create an illusion of symmetrical features, and even hide wrinkles. Learn how to expertly use these two makeup mainstays to create a professional, subtle look with this guide to contour and highlight.
1. Unveil Your Beauty: Contouring and Highlighting Basics
In the beauty world, contouring and highlighting are two magical tools you can use to help you look your best. While both makeup techniques involve manipulating your look with makeup, they serve different purposes.
Contouring is the art of adding light and shadow effects to your face to create more definition and depth. It helps to slim down your face, amplify its curves, and give it an overall more sculpted look. Use darker shades of foundation, bronzer, and blush to do your contouring.
Highlighting aims to bring out your best features, making them stand out from the contour. Use light concealer, foundation, or cream shimmer to do your highlighting. To locate the “highlight points” on your face, visualize a 3D map and apply the lighter product to the tops of your cheekbones, down the bridge of your nose, above your eyebrow, and chin.
Now you’re ready to get started! Here are some tips:
- Start small by doing your contouring first. Begin with minimal product and reapply as needed.
- Always blend well with a damp beauty sponge or brush.
- Layer a setting powder on top of your contour and highlight for a longer lasting effect.
- Experiment with the makeup products you have until you find your desired results.
With these helpful tips, you’ll be contouring and highlighting like a pro in no time! All you need to do is stay confident and have fun with it. It’ll be easy getting your beauty routine down, so take your time and practice in the mirror. Keep working your craft and you’ll see the difference.
2. Pro Tips for Enhancing Your Best Features
Flaunt Your Finest Features: Everyone has their own unique traits that make them shine, and it’s important to show them off! From eyes that sparkle to full pouts – make the most of yourself with these helpful pro tips.
Makeup Tricks: Utilize makeup to bring out your best assets. Here are some ideas to help enhance your features with makeup:
– Choose a color palette that complements your skin tone.
– Accentuate your eyes with mascara and eyeliner.
– Contour your cheeks to create a subtle, sculpted look.
– Highlight your brows to draw attention to your eyes.
– Gloss up your lips with a colorful hue.
Hair Styling Tips: Make the most of your hairstyle to show off your best features. Consider these ideas to help you find the perfect ‘do:
– Select a style that flatters your face shape.
– Go for an asymmetrical cut to soften sharp angles.
– Ask for layers that bring out your eyes and cheekbones.
– Amp up your volume with curly or wavy layers.
– Trim the ends of your locks to create a neat, polished look.
Outfit Choices: Clothing plays an important role in how you display your features. Here are a few fashionable approaches to consider:
– Go for v-necks if you have wide shoulders.
– Wear fitted clothes to show off your curves.
– Choose a bold colour to draw attention to your face.
– Accessorise to highlight your assets.
– Have fun with prints and patterns!
3. Strike the Perfect Balance: Build a Contour Palette That Suits Your Skin
The contour palette is a powerhouse of cosmetics that can take your makeup look to the next level, but not all are created equal. To find the perfect contour palette for your skin, there are a few things you should consider.
Coverage and Pigmentation: When it comes to contouring, coverage and pigmentation are key. The perfect contour palette should have a range of shades that provide full coverage and offer high pigmentation for finely tuned color. This will create a polished, even look with the right level of dimension.
Choose Your Texture: You should also consider texture when selecting your contour palette. Creamy, matte palettes provide a more natural, sculpted look while shimmery and glossy palettes give you options for precise, subtle highlighting. Think carefully about which texture suits your look best.
Don’t Forget Double Duty: Your contour palette should be multi-purpose. While having a few dedicated contour and highlight shades is great, look for palettes that offer versatile, multi-use shades like blush, bronzer, and eyeshadow. These products will help you strike the perfect balance by creating a comprehensive look and saving space in your makeup bag.
- Choose colors that provide complete coverage, with high pigmentation for finely tuned color.
- Consider texture when selecting your contour palette.
- Look for palettes that offer multi-use shades such as blush, bronzer, and eyeshadow.
With these tips in mind, you can create an intentional contour palette that suits your skin and offers you a wide variety of looks to express yourself. Strike the perfect balance to take your makeup look to the next level.
4. Perfect Your Glow: Highlighting Hacks for Professional Makeup Results
Get the Basics Right
Achieving that perfect glowing complexion starts with a flawless base. Before even considering highlights, make sure your skin is properly hydrated and primed with a good moisturizer and primer, as this will ensure your makeup last longer and create a smoother canvas for your highlight.
Choose the Right Tool
When it comes to choosing the right highlighting tool, it’s best to go with something with a little give such as a Beauty Blender or something that’s can create a precision line like a slim brush. A Beauty Sponge, like the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is great for creating a soft dewy glow on your face and body.
Location, Location, Location
When it comes to highlighting, positioning is key! For the most life-like results, it’s best to choose areas of the face that naturally receive extra light such as the high points of the cheekbones, the brow bone, the bridge of the nose, and the bridge of the cupid’s bow. Then, sweep your chosen highlight downward, in a C-shape, on the sides of your forehead and your chin.
Create a Natural Look
To keep your highlight looking natural, look for cream or liquid highlighting products with a satin finish. When applying, use gentle motions and start light, building up to your desired intensity. It’s also important to add bronzer and blush to the cheeks for a balanced, sun-kissed look. Here’s a helpful tip: invest in a few different shades of highlight to get an even more customized vibe.
With the pro-level tips outlined in this article, it’s time to pull out that highlighter and contour brush. Whether you’re a makeup novice or a contouring enthusiast, you’ll be able to sculpt, shape, and highlight your way to your most perfect, beautiful self!